How Blackfish inspires
Like a year
ago, I never heard of SeaWorld or Tilikum. But on Twitter I noticed that one of
my idols posted pictures, video’s and articles, all about the protest against
captivity. I saw them and knew that such activities were wrong. I started to
post pictures as well and while doing that, I discovered hash tags like
#BoycottSeaWorld and #SeaWorldKills. And of course there was #Blackfish. I
actually used them without any knowledge of their true meaning.
After like
a half year of protesting, I finally watched Blackfish. I was shocked by what I
saw. The way they stole the calves out of their habit, away from families. Then
put in a box during the night and let them perform in afternoon in a damn
swimming pool for the rest of their life! During the documentary, I tried to be
strong and not to cry. I saw the birth of Kalina and then heard the former
trainers saying that it was very crucial that the mother-child bond would not
be broken. After four years using the calf as a dollar magnet, SeaWorld send
her to Florida and separated her from her mother. The moment I saw Katina (the
mother) in that corner, like crying for her baby really broke my heart. From
that moment, I couldn’t hold my tears any more.
Watching
the interviews of the former SeaWorld trainers reminded me of the time I was
like 8 years old or so. This was my dream job. Working with dolphins and seals…
it looked so cool to show the people you and the animal know each other and
have a bond. And that was the thing that holded in my hate for SeaWorld.
I can’t
blame the former trainers and certainly not the ones who died because they
loved them. Taking care of Tilikum and the other Killer Whales was their life.
They dreamed of them when they were young after watching a show in places like
SeaWorld. They felt a bond between humans and animals. The ones who saw the
money and the entering visitors with the amount in their hands, they who only
cared about Tilikum’s sperm, they aren’t the ones who die in that pool while
everyone is watching. It’s the people who DO care, really care! It’s not them
who will have to live their entire life inside of a tank. It’s the whales!
So please,
stand with me and help me #SupportTheProtest
Merel
Reyntjens

Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten